Re: [NTLK] [OT] Re - Needs

From: Dustin Long (dlong_at_tamu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 14:51:48 EST

Eek!

You plugged a SCSI device into a machine while it was running?

Here's what I've been told: Don't do that. It's a "Bad Thing" -- the
SCSI cables carry power and it's very possible that you can blast your
scsi card (and even stuff close to the card, like a video card,
motherboard, etc) by plugging a SCSI device into a chain without powering
down first.

We even power down our SCSI-connected Solaris arrays before adding drives.
Supposedly, ADB is beholden to similar restrictions, although the power
that an old Mac keyboard/mouse carries is less than that of a SCSI
connection. Other connections, like fibre channel (or usb/firewire, for
that matter) don't require a power-down.

Sounds like you got away with it. But I wouldn't recommend pulling the Zip
back off while it was running. ;)

~Dustin