Re: [NTLK] [OT] Guess the product announcement!

From: Michael Whitten (mime_at_home.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 10:01:12 EST

I never believed the iWalk for a sec either, it just was not something Apple
would design or put on the market. I think if Apple were to get back into
the PDA market they would buy Palm, and reingineer that. Not create another
platform.

As for the Wireless Data/VoIP thing: This would actually be quite
interesting to see, however, it would only work in the larger cities and
centralized areas. Why? Range. I live in the Outskirts of a suburb of
Nashville. If I go farther south of here, I lose most if not all of my
digital cell coverage. I could see this working in a centralized building or
a tightly packed city such as NY. But this brings up another thing that
plagues WiFi now. Cross-contamination and improper use. A person could take
a laptop sit in a park next to a Wireless building and use their connection.
Possibly their internal net too. Now imagine if the phone system was on this
connection as well. Free international calls too! Unique Ids won't help
either. Airsnort will find those Ids. Unless Apple comes up with a new
technology that can integrate 802.11(x) With VoIP and is 100% secure, we
will never see this.

Now there could be something of a PalmOS device with wireless capability
unveiled with Rosetta instead of Grafitti for HWR. THAT would be
interesting!

Michael W.