Re: [NTLK] Faster that 57600 with NCU?

From: John Goggan (jgoggan_at_dcg.com)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 10:11:17 EST

"Smith, Bradley" wrote:
> I did the original NCU hack for Windows and Mac to let the user
> choose 57600 baud. I did spend some effort trying to convince it to
> go higher but it just resulted in a crash every time. I'm not saying
> it can't be done, I'm a programmer - not a hacker, just that it isn't
> as easy as convincing it to go to 57600. The problem, for anyone
> interested, is the need for an extra byte for speeds above 57600
> i.e.
>
> 115200
> 230400
> 56700
>
> The options are to either trash a byte of the code or offset every
> subsequent byte in the code by one. Either way it's crash time :-(

Indeed -- I poked a bit with this too last night. However, that is just for
setting the baud rate, from what I understand. When you first START the app,
it uses the settings from the Registry. I went in and changed the registry
setting from 57600 to 115200, where it is just a text string, and tried to use
it. It would not transfer at 115200 -- never connected. However, it would
not transfer if I set the Newton to 57600 or any other speed either. In other
words, I believe that the app was actually trying to do 115200 -- and it just
wasn't working...

I'll try to hook up some dumb terminal at 115200 just to confirm that it is
actually doing 115200 when I have more time. If it is trying to do 115200,
then it could be numerous things causing it to not work on my machine -- and
it could work on others. Might be worth a try for those interested -- just
edit the NCU Registry settings and then do NOT go into the "Settings" dialog
in NCU -- just start and test.

Is there anyone on the list that has done 115200 or 230400 transfers from the
Newton using the *nix program that mentioned those speeds? I'd just like to
confirm that the Newton can indeed handle those speeds. No use trying to get
NCU or anything else to do it at the client side if the Newton can't handle
it. :-)

 - John...