[NTLK] autocharge on a 120

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 17:21:28 EST

>I have a question - I have rechargable nicads and
>nimhs for my newton, and an AC adaptor cable. When I
>use my AC with my 2100 it automatically charges the
>batteries. Does using the AC adaptor with a 120 also
>automatically charge the batteries?

1) Yes, if you have an original Apple MP110/120/130 rechargeable
pack in your 120.

2) Yes, if you use off-the-shelf NiCad AA rechargeables and
put something beneath the middle two cells to make sure the
small switch in the battery compartment is pressed (which tells
the Newton that it may charge because an Apple rechargeable
pack is installed).

3) Yes, if you do what is described in 2) with NiMH rechargeables.
I wouldn't recommend this version, the 120's charge circuitry was
designed to charge NiCad cells. There are people on this list who
claim they have been charging NiMH cells that way for years, there
are other people on this list who claim that doing this has killed both
the batteries and the Newton.

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html