Re: [NTLK] emate power problems

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 17:15:24 EST

>works fine off A/C. Wil not charge battery pack. I have 2. It used to
>charge one, now it just reports them both as deep toast. Ok. So I
>went ahead and rebuilt one pack. I made it a bit of a mess, but
>figured it woould work fine. Well, it doesnt. The emate starts its
>initial charge, and then after some time, reports it as deep toast.

Get yourself a multimeter and measure

a) The resistance between the two white wires (between red and black).
of the battery pack. It should be about 7...10 kOhm

b) The voltage between the black and the red wire. It should be at
least 4 volt.

> The question: can this be the emate that is the problem and not the
> battery at all?

Although not impossible, I doubt it.

> And any advice on fixing it?

Maybe, once we know the outcome of a and b.

>Emate #2
>will not work off A/C or battery. Does not lite the charging light
>when plugged in. Any suggestions on how I might attempt a fix?

There should be a smd fuse somewhere, normally close to the
battery connector (not sure where, haven't had to look for one yet).
If found, you could check that with a multimeter.

While you have them open, make sure you check them for the
infamous hinge spring problem:

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html
http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html

If you can't fix them, you could send them my way and I could have
a look at them. Shipping back from Germany is US$10, looking is,
as usual, free for list members.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton hardware and software at http://www.pda-soft.de