Re: [NTLK] seeking NS basic

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 13:24:11 EST

There are three popular methods of creating books for
the newton.
1) Newton Press
2) Paperback
3) Newtscape

There are advantages and disadvantages on all the
above.

I have no experience with Newtscape, but the other
two, it's quite straight forward.

In the Windows side of the world, Newton Press and
Paperback are rock solid stable. The Mac world is
another story though...

basically, I just grab the RTF file and drop it on the
Newton Press or Paperback icon...

Or, I create the book in Word using the Newton Press
template so I can get the pagination correct and
delete any weird line feeds, then save it as an rtf
file then drag the rtf file onto the running Newton
Press application.

It really is that straight forward...at least on
Windows...YMMV on Macs though.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Chet Johns <cjohns_at_mac.com> wrote:

> > Well, the diagrams would be a little tough, but a
> > thousand page Newton Book is no problem at all.
> Heck,
> > all the LOTR books I have up:
> > (http://newton.tek-ed.com/lotr)
> > all are over a thousand pages long...
>
> Hold on here. Could we stop and take a few minutes
> here to tell the
> listening audience how to convert a RTF document
> (book) or similar to a
> newton book. I am interested in converting some
> medical reference books I
> have to newton books and haven't quite figured out
> the best way to do it.
> Most are (relatively) small, 100-200 pages long.
>
> I'm sorry if I slept through that lecture. Just a
> few pointers as to what
> software is needed and any pitfalls I need to
> consider. Something with the
> ability to cross reference would be nice too.
>
> Thanks, Chet

=====
"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain."
 - Mr. Weasley - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.