[NTLK] NEW Interconnect Ports !!!

From: Brian McMillan (brianmcmillan_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 19:36:39 EST

Ok, Here it is....

As we all know, JAE does not produce our connectors any more. After
consulting with the electronics guru at work, he managed to pull a
replacement out from his desk! It is used in IBM 600E / X Laptops for
their external FDDs. Well after ripping the case apart and searching on
the net, the connector is made by MOLEX and in production today.

Some observations:
1) When the connector is plugged into multiple Newts (yes, I got mine
to work Rich) it does wake the machine.

2) The pin-outs on the IBM PCB can't be made to work for anything we
need, so a new PCB will need to be made. I tried wiring up something to
those tiny pins and made a total mess of the connector. I will be
contacting MOLEX to see if they produce, or know who does, a full
break-out PCB.

3) The depth of the connector is ~1-2 mm too shallow but it appears to
make contact. I also files down the metal shielding to make it fit
better. I won't know if everything works until I can rig up a test
docking station.

4) The metal retention pins can be pushed through the housing and you
could even remove the metal shielding for a better fit.

5) does anyone know what pins must be jumped to set the System WakeUp?
I know it is pin 26 but what else is needed?

MOLEX INFO
Web - http://www.molex.com/

P/N - 52629
Desc. - 1.00 mm Pitch Shielded Receptacle, 26 pin

P/N - 54397
Desc. - 1.00mm Pitch Shielded Receptacle, 26 pin, ultra low profile

I'll keep everyone posted. Contact me if you have a source for a break
out PCB.

~ Brian McMillan

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html