Re: [NTLK] 3.3V ATA flash cards and 3.3V wireless network cards discrepancy

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 00:04:12 EST

À (At) 15:52 -0800 10/12/02, Gabriela & Radek Biciste écrivait (wrote) :
>I believe that result was that you should not use wireless network that
>has voltage 3.3V. Could we actually use compact flash cards that has the
>same voltage: 3.3V?

Of course you can.
ATA Support negotiates the voltage between the card and the Newton.
Your Newton can do 3.3 so can the card so ATA Support configures it
in 3.3 mode to be sure to draw as less as possible power from your
battery.

The WaveLan driver doesn't do that. It uses the card in 5V mode
whatever the card says. If you have a card that doesn't accept more
than 3.3V, it will fry it.

The thing is that ATA Support handles nearly everything from card
recognition to talking to the card. The WaveLan driver is a plug-in
for the Lantern DDK and therefore Hiroshi has less possibilities.

Paul

--
NPDS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/
Apache: http://www.kallisys.com/