Re: [NTLK] Creating and reading Rich-Text documents

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 02:08:54 EST

> I've heard that it's possible to read and write RTF (so-called "rich
> text") documents and emails and transfer them over email ...
>
> How, exactly would one do this? Does this require additional
> facilities beyond Works?

You can e-mail RTF versions of Works or Notepad documents using X-Port.

The only drawback is that recipients must save the text of your e-mail
into a file with the extension of .rtf. Then, if they double-click the
resulting file from the desktop, Microsoft Word will open (usually) and
display the document with basic formatting intact.

X-Port doesn't know how to MIME attach an RTF document to an e-mail, so
the receiving user must be smart enough to save the text to a file.

Also, if you include any graphics in your RTF file, Word will not
display them. You must open these types of RTF documents in Wordpad.
 From there, you can re-save the document in Microsoft Word format and
the graphics will be preserved. A bug in the way X-Port generates RTF
files I suppose.

As others on this list have mentioned, it is possible to export Works
and Notes papers to RTF using NCU, although in my personal experience
NCU doesn't work anymore. I always get -1 errors when I try to use it.
However, your mileage may vary so by all means give it a shot.

Luck and regards,

-Jeremy

-
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD | Americans practice different faiths in
San Francisco, CA | churches, synagogues, mosques and temples.
jbond_at_jameswhale.com | And many good people practice no faith
Phone: 415-929-0297 | at all.
ICQ: 72267083 | -- George W. Bush, finally gets it right
AIM: jeremybondsf | in his Easter Address of 2002
PGP key available on public keyservers.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html