[NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0RC3

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 03:06:17 EST

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce ATA Support 1.0RC3.

This new version brings big changes in the structure of the various
modules. This means that ATA Support now uses less memory. This also
means that I might have broken this or that. This is an early release
because it fixes the -10606, but if 1.0RC2 works fine for you, you
might want to wait for a couple of days to see if there are any
important bug that I haven't seen with my tests.

Please update the compatibility table

What is ATA Support?
--------------------

ATA Support is a software to use ATA cars with your Newton. It
interfaces deeply with the system so ATA cards can be mounted like
linear cards.

What's new?
-----------
* Entire redesign of the structure of the modules. ATA Support now
requires less memory.
* The -10606 bug was fixed. It affected Newtons with custom indexes
(typically German Newtons).
* Hack in the system to force it to ask ATA Support if it can handle ATA cards.
* Better handling of power.
* Fixed the bug of the double "No Recognized Partition".
* Improvement of the build script.
* Other changes that I forgot.

Are there known bugs?
---------------------

Yes. Two of them haven't been fixed with RC3:
- in some rare conditions that I haven't been able to reproduce, the
data gets corrupted. I'll say it's fine to use ATA Support for your
data as long as you do frequent backups. Please do a backup before
installing ATA Support as well. Please report if you experience any
data loss of this kind.
- the eMate will reboot if the card that is in is powered and the lid
is closed.

Please report any other bug. Please visit my webpage frequently for
updates about bugs.

Where can I get ATA Support?
----------------------------

On my website:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

You'll find more information and a database of compatible cards.
Please note that RC3 very probably works with much more cards than
RC2.

What's the future of ATA Support?

To release ATA Support as 1.0, I want to have finished the
documentation and to have fixed the remaining problems that I
experience here with my half dozen of cards. I'll do my best to do
that before the end of the year.

Regards,

Paul

--