Re: [NTLK] I've always wanted a Newton....

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 00:30:16 EDT

on 8/29/02 9:22 PM, dynstatic_at_warpmail.net at dynstatic_at_warpmail.net wrote:

> So my question is, does anyone have a newton 2100 for sale?

    The more expensive Newton 2100s or upgraded 2000s on eBay should be fine
and in fairly good shape. I bought an upgraded 2000 for $99 and am using it
as my main machine. The case cosmetics aren't great, but it works fine and
the screen is good.
    There is no difference between the 2100 and 2000 upgraded to 2100 other
than the case and the sticker saying it's an upgrade.
    Things you'll want as well as the Newton are:
    1) either a guaranteed rechargable battery pack or a battery tray to
hold AA cells. You'll probably want a battery tray anyway since the
rechargable is going to die sometime and not everyone wants to take them
apart to do a rebuild.
    2) a REAL Newton 9W AC adapter (this is often included with the higher
prices Newts on eBay).
    3) a dongle. The Newton has a proprietary serial connector. The dongle
adapts the interconnect port on the Newton to a standard Mac serial
connector. You'll also need a Mac printer cable (also called ImageWriter II
cable) so you can connect to a Mac to load programs. Or a PC serial to Mac
cable to load programs from a PC. If you're not squeamish about taking your
Newt apart you can install an SER-001 card that gives the Newt a standard
Mac serial port.
    4) A Linear flash PCMCIA memory card to give you more storage. (Again
some of the higher priced Newts on eBay come with one).
    I've had good luck buying from GEM Enterprises. Just ordered a case from
them on Wednesday.

    I think that covers the bare essentials.

Peter