Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Pr.

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 09:43:55 EDT

No no, no reason to give up.
It is proven that the 3c589d works with the Newt.
At least for me :-))

I try to give you a check list:
1) are the right extensions installed? I use
FarallonEthernet.pkg -> Farallon Enet on the Newt
3ComAddon.pkg -> z3Comdrv:clli on the Newt
2) in setup/prefs/AppleTalk you should have set "connect using Ethertalk"
and the card selection should show your 3c589d card
3) dumb but important: in order to "see" your Mac in the dock application
you need to have NCU UP AND RUNNING and configured for Ethernet
4) there is a nice application which you can use to check if the Newton
Ethernet connection works: Netnames (you can find it on Unna) with this tool
you can ping known machines and watch the reply
5) But I think for that application you need to have NIE and its Ethernet
module installed and have a proper setup with IP address, netmask and so on.
6) this is on the MAC side: in order to get NCU functioning you need some
extensions that come with NCU: namely the Appletalk ADSP module. Do not
activate the AppleScript extensions that come with NCU on newer OS versions
8.6 and newer.
7) hardware: how do you connect your Newt to your Mac? - direct or via Hub
or via local network/switch) direct connection needs a special cable (Rx and
Tx lines crossed)

Thats so far what I remind on that topic.

HTH
Johannes