Re: [NTLK] We are making "Newt On" system / Knowledge Navigator

From: Takaaki Naganoya (maro_at_appleco.jp)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 19:44:39 EDT

At 5:03 PM +0200 02.8.15, Oliver Brose wrote:
> >Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:48:15 +0900
>>From: Takaaki Naganoya <maro_at_appleco.jp>
>>
>>http://www.airmac.org/newton_e.html
>>

>Well, this looks nice, itwould be even cooler if it used
>speech-recognition... rember that Apple flick about the Knowledge
>Navigator? (BTW: Could someone post a link to that one? The higher
>the quality the better!)

Yes! We are going to use these technologies.
We want to be realize "STAR TREK" taste of computing. It is not a computer
but a logical robot like "R2-D2" or "Doraemon".

Last month, I have a demonstration in Apple Japan. I used some movies on
my presentation. The knowledge navigator movie was one of them.

> >You will find and be surprised at them. Newt On works with Microsoft office.
> >Word is the terminal application for Newt On.
> >Entourage is the mail and addressbook application for Newt On.
>
>This is indeed surprising. I mean, you will of course fetch quite an
>audience with all those people who were happily willing to spend wads
>of money for MS Office X, but why on a Mac then? I mean, if it worked
>with AppleWorks / TextEdit & Eudora / Apple Mail & and the 10.2
>AdressBook, that would be really *nice*, and everybody would have
>much more money left for your app ;)

Hmm.... Word has a serious important function and the other applications
does not have. So we choiced it.

For the people writing AppleScript, AppleWorks is awful application
and poor AppleScript terminology.

Our choice is to develop rapidly and simply using AppleScript.
The first version of Newt On--can search address-- was only 100 lines
of AppleScript....

The rich AppleScript function of Microsoft Word made it.

I had a demonstration of Newt On in MacWorld Expo/Tokyo to Macintosh
Business Unit of Microsoft.

They gave us a lot of help :-) They love Macintosh very well.

Takaaki Naganoya
http://www.airmac.org