Re: [NTLK] Birthdays from 'Names' to 'Dates' - How do I force Newt to do that?

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 04:36:20 EDT

> I have tried to find something about this in the Newton's manual, but
> came up empty. I'm trying to get my wife's Newton (MP2100) to copy all
> birthdays from the Names app to the Dates app. Is there any way to do
> this? I know that My Newton asks me every now and then, if I want to
> copy the new dates it detected, I guess, this happens after a restore
> but I don't want to do that right now.
> Also, my wife asked me to set the alarm for birthdays to 5 days in
> advance - how would I go about setting that for _all_ her birthday
> reminders in one shot?
I would recommend to NOT have the birthdays in the calendar but better use
Avi's Backdrop. It does all you ask for: Check the names file for actual
birthdays (be shure to use the latest version of ABD, V1.29 and not V1.27
which is slow with lots of birthdays) . You'll also be able to setup a
notice time, as e.g. 5 days in advance and you'll get a display of all the
persons with upcoming birthdays including their age :-) Having all this it
makes no sense to have the birthdays in names too. Another reason against
birthdays in names is that each occurence of the birthday creates it's own
entry and if you e.g. search for something before Jan 1st 1978, you'll get a
whole bunch of birthday entries and don't see at the first glance what
you're looking for. Also synchronizing with other date programs on the
desktop is getting more difficult. In my case it messed up because these
hundreths of birthday entries seemed simply to much. In fact many
synchronisation programs (e.g. Siemens SL45i phone to Outlook2000) suffer
from very bad synchronisation of reoccurring dates and the result is mostly
doubled or tripled entries. By deleting all birthdays from dates I got also
rid of a error -1 reason (after hours of debugging my Newton data :-(

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG