Re: [NTLK] Off topic Macsoftware for kids

From: Thomas Hofts (thofts_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 13:32:43 EDT

on 4/19/02 8:50 AM, bob barkany at bob_at_barkany.com wrote:

> Hello There
>
> I am asking you venerable bunch whether there exists any mac software for
> kids, ie a cut down version of appleworks, and outlook express, something
> for my daughter who is eight so she can do her own letterheads and
> stationery with pretty pictures and maybe something she could use to send
> emails. She's desperate for a mac.com email address.
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thank You
> Bob

Never underestimate the ability of children to understand and use software
or computers. My kids have used Apple Works (then Claris works) since they
were 7 or 8. Took a bit of guidance from Dad, but it was a good learning
experience (for Dad!).

Now my grandson, who's 3, is amazing on a Mac or PC. He boots, draws and
colors, and surfs the web (well nickjr.com is his fave) with ease.

As far as email goes, I'd set up a separate email program (any would work)
with just her address.

--
Tom Hofts