Re: [NTLK] [OT] PayPal gripes hurt sales

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 01:03:13 EDT

At 7:14 AM -0700 4/12/02, Humphreys, David wrote:
>I am more than a little dismayed at the recent grumbling
>concerning Paypal by a number of people. Your experiences
>may be true and your preferences I respect but I have seen a
>dramatic downturn in sales as a result of these messages.
[snip]

David,

    Sorry I'm a little late to this conversation. I just thought I'd
mention that if you are planning on doing this sort of thing for the
long run (a couple of years, maybe), you might consider using Kagi.
They will process credit cards, checks, cash, and who knows what
else. You get an e-mail with all of the pertinent buyer info when
the payment is made. There is no monthly fee or minimum sales
requirement, and you can be paid each month. We've been using Kagi
for 4 years now, and have been quite satisfied. I won't say nothing
ever goes wrong, but errors have always been corrected. That said, it
can take them a while to get you set up initially.

    As far as the cost to you, for the type of business you have I
would recommend that you charge a slightly higher price for orders
that go through Kagi, to offset the processing fee. That way, those
who don't mind using PayPal are encouraged to do so, others who can't
or won't use PayPal can use Kagi for a couple of extra dollars.
Everybody wins.

    Best of luck whatever you decide.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini