Re: [NTLK] Help! Dead Newton (was Variety Shop problems)

From: Beau B. Bruce (bbbruce_at_learnlink.emory.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 15:58:24 EDT

With regards to your Newton not powering up...

I had several scares like this. It was because the battery was not
adequately holding a charge even though it appeared to be. My battery
would drain in a matter of hours and I would get no warning message before
it cut off (eg it would be at 50% and the Newt would shut off). This
would lead to it being _very_ difficult to turn back on. Time and time
again the answer was to hold down the reset button for a long time...
20-60 secs... with the Newt plugged in and usually battery in. I only
ever had to try the leave the batteries out trick when I had knowingly
been pushing my dead batteries they provided too far.

Since then I've rebuilt my rechargeable battery into a battery tray with a
couple of springs and the parts from the rechargeable battery. I've been
very pleased with that investment of time but it isn't for the faint
hearted. Now I can use alkalines or rechargeables in my Newt and my
charges last for days not hours.

With regards to Variety Shop...

I've been very pleased with my Newton from Variety Shop... of course... my
Newton didn't have any scratches and I didn't have any grand expectations.
 I have to say now that I think it is probably the best computer I've ever
owned... and at $150 that's saying a lot. Maybe they are getting to the
bottom of the barrel now since I can't imagine I just got that lucky...
who knows... good luck!

Beau Bruce