Re: [NTLK] NCU Connection Error code -1

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 01:08:31 EDT

on 10/04/02 01:01, Tony Kan at tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz wrote:

> Hi Newtonians
> Excitedly unwrapped my Mac-to-PC serial cable and hooked up the dongle to
> the MP2k, installed NCU and rebooted the PC. Connecting is becoming
> important because there is only 420k left in internal storage (no flash card
> yet) and moving stuff to the PC might relieve that. So I went through the
> procedure according to the manual for establishing a connection.
>
> A connection gets established (i.e. all the buttons on NCU become undimmed)
> and seems stable until I hit the backup key and then the following error
> message appears.
>
> "The communication was stopped because of a communication error (-1)"
>
> Went through trying slower and slower communication speeds but the error
> code is displayed even for 2400. Checked the FAQ but it doesn't seem to
> cover this problem. What does error "-1" mean?
>
> Oh I'm operating Win2k on a machine with 256Mb RAM, 1GHz AMD Duron.

This has been mentioned a few times, I'm surprised it's not mentioned in the
FAQ (Victor or Paul?). With a 1 Ghz machine, you'll probably have to run
"SlowDown.exe" one or twice to let NCU keeps up with the serial data
pipeline. Available on UNNA <http://www.unna.org/>.

-Laurent.

brain dump n.: [common] The act of telling someone everything one knows about a particular topic or project. Typically used when someone is going to let a new party maintain a piece of code. Conceptually analogous to an operating system core dump in that it saves a lot of useful state before an exit. "You'll have to give me a brain dump on FOOBAR before you start your new job at HackerCorp." See core dump (sense 4). At Sun, this is also known as `TOI' (transfer of information).