Re: [NTLK] OT: iPod vs. RioVolt sp100 & Firewire Question

From: Jim Anderson (jiman_at_microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 13:35:55 EDT

Sushi wrote:
> And now with the new iPod (10GB HD), you can easily store twice the=20
> number of albums.
>=20
> IMHO, a RioVolt while cheaper is not near as convenient or useful for=20
> those of us who use Macs and have iTunes.

        This is really true. When I bought my Rio Volt, I was torn
between it and the one decent HD mp3 jukebox available at the time (I
forget the name, it wasn't a large manufacturer). The problem with most
flash/HD mp3 players is how much a pain in the ass it is to get music on
and off of them. I owned a RaveMP flash mp3 player before my Rio. It
held 32 MB of music (which was pretty decent at the time), but in order
to get music onto it I had to boot into Windows 98 (only!), and then
trickle the music over to the thing. It took a few minutes to load it
up. This was before USB ports were really common, so it used some weird
kludgy parallel port cable. Granted, USB is faster, but can you imagine
much music, but I have something like 30 GB of music right now, and I
haven't even ripped all my CD's. I ended up choosing the Rio because it
takes no time at all to slap in another CD.
        Now, the iPod is a different story. Firewire. Mmmmmm. You could
load up one of those babies in seconds. I'm still going to hold out for
an 80GB version, though...

Jim Anderson

Evil Overlord Rule 134:
If I am escaping in a large truck and the hero is pursuing me in a small
Italian sports car, I will not wait for the hero to pull up along side
of me and try to force him off the road as he attempts to climb aboard.
Instead I will slam on the brakes when he's directly behind me. (A
rudimentary knowledge of physics can prove quite useful.)