Re: [NTLK] OT: portable cd player - copy protected audio CDs

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 13:16:51 EDT

>On 02/04/10 @ 1:36 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
>I completely agree with this. And I'm angry with Oliver
>that they can do something like this. This means that
>at some point, we will all have to replace our CD players,
>no matter if they are mere CD players or CD drives.
>
>I don't know what those stupid a... at Sony are thinking.
>Do they really believe that their copy protection won't
>be defeated? They thought the same when they came out
>with the consumer DVDs, it seems they didn't get their
>lesson. The worst part is that all the consumers have
>to pay a small part of their effort and resources that
>they put up to copy protect their stuff.

Totally agree.

This copy protection ##$%"!"#$$#. Well you get the point.

Before I went the MP3 route, I used to burn custom CD's with AIFF files.
Some of the songs would jam up my system when burning. Not sure why.

Enter Apple's Quicktime.

I found that by opening the file with QT and then exporting it back AIFF,
it would get rid of whatever was jamming up my system.

Now my curiousity is up. When I have time i will have to check and see
if these CD's were of the type mentioned.

On a side note, what really amazes me is that these companies are
spending a huge amount of money on research trying to figure out methods
to prevent copying, when if they would just offer CD's for a more
reasonable price, many folks would just buy the CD vice going to the
library or renting them.

Sushi