Re: [NTLK] OT: portable cd player - copy protected audio CDs

From: Alexander Schreiber (als_at_thangorodrim.de)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 10:44:59 EDT

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:21:21PM +0200, Marco Mailand wrote:

> > What I just read is that the latest copy protected CDs (read: CDs f*#ked
> up
> > in the factory) probably won't work in your CD-ROM drive anymore and might
> > not even play in your old CD player.
> There was an article in our newspaper about that issue. If an audio CD
> doesn't play in your old or new home (HiFi) CD-player you can bring it back
> and get refunded. But if it doesn't play in your computer they will rise
> their hands and point to the warning on the package: This CD may not play in
> your Windos or Macintosh computer. If you really have to bring a CD back
> because it doesn't play you will probably get the most wanted songs in the
> Gnutella network :-) I got nearly all there, so far :-))

Selling those defective CDs has a nice side-effect: I've heard from a lot
of folks that they handle those CDs in a very special way:
 - buy CD,
 - if defective^Wcopy-protected:
   - rip with good CD/DVD drive,
   - encode to MP3/Ogg Vorbis,
   - put the files up for Gnutella/Napster/eDonkey/KaaZaa/whatever,
   - return CD as defective,
   - receive full refund,
 - repeat,

And yes, those CDs have to be considered defective as they all violate
the CDDA-standard and therefore should not even be allowed to carry the
CDDA-logo.

But then, those defective CDs usually come with a copy protection
schemee which for me works perfectly: the music on those CDs is so
horrible, I won't even consider copying or even listening to them.

Regards,
      Alex.

--
We're gonna be body guards for teen rock-stars. Wouldn't the cause of freedom
be better served if we killed them instead?