Re: [NTLK] OT: portable cd player - copy protected audio CDs

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 10:17:34 EDT

On 09/04/02 05:04, "Robert Benschop" <rbenschop_at_mac.com> wrote:

> on 09-04-2002 10:17, Marco Mailand at Newton2k1_at_mac.com wrote:
>
>>> BUT!!!! from what I'm hearing...these cd/mp3/CDR
>>> players have trouble playing these new copy protected
>>> music CDs that are being created.
>> This is partially true and highly dependent on the type of CD and its
>> content. But in the really hard cases I simply re-digitize the audio from my
>> home HiFi-CD-Player on my Mac and burn either the audio (AIFF) or the MP3
>> file.
>
> What I just read is that the latest copy protected CDs (read: CDs f*#ked up
> in the factory) probably won't work in your CD-ROM drive anymore and might
> not even play in your old CD player.

This is incredible! It's like all of a sudden, you can fuel your car
anymore, because all gas companies have replaced the hose of their tanks or
you can't get any TV stations on your old TV because the cable company has
changed something in the signal they send you!!!

-Laurent.

fear and loathing n.: [from Hunter S. Thompson] A state inspired by the
prospect of dealing with certain real-world systems and standards that are
totally brain-damaged but ubiquitous -- Intel 8086s, or COBOL, or EBCDIC, or
any IBM machine bigger than a workstation. "Ack! They want PCs to be able to
talk to the AI machine. Fear and loathing time!"