Re: [NTLK] An interesting and under-reported fact

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 00:41:49 EST

At 9:41 AM -0500 10/29/01, Eric L. Strobel wrote:
>Setting an "atmosphere" is fine, but the ad really ALSO needs to inform
>about the product. For a while, here in the States, there was a commercial
>running from some drug company. I forget what it was, but it was all
>atmosphere and at the end was the "Ask YOUR doctor about XYZ." And my
>family bursts out laughing at almost the same time. They never said what
>the drug treated!

Eric,

    I remember that ad, too! But do you know why they didn't mention
what the drug did? Because the deal with drug ads is that you have
to mention possible adverse effects if you mention what the drug is
supposed to do. And as we all know, it seems like *every* drug
advertised on TV causes "dry mouth, headaches, abdominal discomfort,
diarrhea, and sexual side effects"!

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer