Re: [NTLK] An interesting and under-reported fact

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 09:41:48 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 10/29/01 2:45 AM, the entity known as Jon Glass
at jonglass_at_usa.net conveyed the following:

> on 10/28/01 4:42 PM, Peter Cameron at pdwc_at_sympatico.ca wrote:
>
>> My understanding was that if you wanted to do a comparative ad in
>> Europe, you had to have some really good documentation to prove your product
>> was 20% better than the the competition. Since such documentation (years of
>> independent studies etc.) isn't cheap or quick, atmosphere is the next best
>> thing.
>
> There is also the added advantage that atmosphere creation is very
> sophisticated, and gives a solid, positive image. I don't want to sound like
> I'm knocking it, but the difference is almost funny. It was to me, last
> fall, when I went back to the states for the first time in over three years,
> and was confronted with these direct, in-your-face ads, which I had
> completely forgotten about. :-)

Setting an "atmosphere" is fine, but the ad really ALSO needs to inform
about the product. For a while, here in the States, there was a commercial
running from some drug company. I forget what it was, but it was all
atmosphere and at the end was the "Ask YOUR doctor about XYZ." And my
family bursts out laughing at almost the same time. They never said what
the drug treated!

The disadvantage of "atmosphere" ads is -- What if I don't relate with the
image your company is attempting to portray? Perhaps your product has some
unique feature I'd really like, but you've just switched my sensory input
filters to the REJECT position, possibly permanently.

Ahhh... I guess this is wandering OT long enough. Good to know the laws in
Europe have changed somewhat. Maybe now YOU will also be bombarded with all
the "If you've got a phone, you've got a lawyer." things! Why should we
suffer alone? :-)

- Eric.