Re: [NTLK] Build your own Newton?

From: good-dog_at_northshore.net
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 21:03:09 EST

"Michael J. Hußmann" wrote:

> Adrian Carter (adi_at_mail.cix.co.uk) wrote:
>
> > I keep wondering if I'm the only person out here who is happy with
> > the size of the Newton.
>
> You are certainly not the only one. I guess one could build an
> essentially display-sized version of the MP2100 now, but a Palm-sized
> Newton would rule out real HWR. I can't "imagine a newton the size of a
> palm doing things palms can only dream of doing."

Why not? It's easy. Imagine a Palms-esque device where you can do what
you do on the Newt. It's not too hard to do. The guy I conversed with,
who builds apps and such for both Palm and Newton, said it'd be no problem.

Don't get me wrong about the size of the newton because I like the size.
 I also like the potential of the newton being smaller. Why does a
smaller screen/body rule out real handwriting? How would that rule out
HWR if you have the same capacity to write all over the screen instead
of just in the Palms designated space? I understand there's an app that
allows this writing all over the screen function on Palm devices.

One reason I don't have a real hankering for the Palm-esque machines is
that they don't have HWR. They're lightweight physically and they're
lightweight where I want it to be kick-ass. That letter by letter
printing business seems okay for someone that's never used a newt, but
whenever I pick one up to try I'm always disappointed. But I'm not
disappointed in the size of the device. The Palms feel good in the hand
to me.

That's why I say 'imagine'. Maybe it wouldn't work, but to dismiss it
outright seems a bit much. It's not like it'd be impossible to pull off
such a device with all the newton wallop in the smaller casing the size
of a Palm. Maybe it'd suck. Maybe it'd be great.

We can't know except in the imagination. If you don't use the
imagination, you'll tend to dismiss it. How much different is that from
someone who said the idea of the newton itself sucked because of 'blah
blah blah'. From what I remember at one time Apple was thinking of
shrinking the size of the Newton, but the idea got canned. Do we know why?

Just some thoughts. If you have your rotten tomatoes, rotten cabbage,
and dead cats, you can begin the pelting...

Mark