Re: [NTLK] Newton Press & Icons

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 08:29:12 EST

> From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
>
>> One would think it would have been documented in the Newton Formats
>> document:
>
> In fact, this document is too low-level for icons.
>
> Indeed, it explains how objects are encoded and how frames are stored
> in frame parts and parts in packages. Icons are just in slots in the
> root frame of frame parts (but I don't think they're used for every
> frame part kind, I haven't found how to declare one in dictionaries,
> but maybe I haven't tried enough).
> However, I'm not sure this is fully documented (i.e. which slot and
> which format), but I think it's the 'icon and 'iconPro slots. I don't
> recall which is used when, though, but there is surely some info
> lying in the Q&As or in the NTK User Guide (at least to explain how
> to set the icon for auto parts).

I believe 'icon is just for b&w, 'iconPro for gray icons.

I think the top-level partFrame itself isn't too difficult to locate, but
within that 'icon and 'iconPro could be in different places in .pkg and and
partFrame (for maybe they're one level deeper within that, I forget)
depending on existence of other partFrame slots like Install/Remove/Delete
scripts, etc. so some searching thru symbol map would be needed. not rocket
science, but not for the faint of heart either ;-)

I think AddExtrasInfo might provide a simpler cosmetic solution rather than
brain surgery -- though it still would require someone to use NTK (or NDE)
to create a separate patch .pkg with just the icon and InstallScript.

--
Steve