Re: [NTLK] iPod hard drive physical size

From: James Simons (newtlink_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 04:36:32 EDT

*****GOPI WROTE**************
The iPod dimensions:
4.02 " x 2.43 " x 0.78 "

A 2.5" notebook hard drive has - unsurprisingly - a
circular object inside of it that is 2.5" in diameter.

Notice something there? Right. The iPod doesn't use a
2.5" hard drive.

PriceWatch showed 1.8" hard drives as being between
$350 and $400.

I'm just mentioning this because a lot of people are
under the mistaken impression that Apple is trying to
rip people off here. They are selling a_tiny_ device.
I've seen hard drive based MP3 players. The one I saw
was so huge I would've just preferred to pull out an
iBook. It wasn't a pocketable item, unless a Newton
and keyaboard would also fit into a single pocket.
(that's to say, my pockets would fit one :)

gopi.
*************************

not to be snotty, but so what?? it's still a waste of
time and money.. 400.00 for a "pocketable" MP3/mass
storage device is still TOO MUCH.. 5GIGs isn't enough
storage for *most* (not all) professionals.. and, sure
it's firewire and it's fast, but it then becomes an
MP3 player at that point.. a very EXPENSIVE MP3 player
that can download a CDs worth of ripped MP3s in 10
seconds..

i think that the reason that i'm upset is.. that all
this cash/resources could have been directed at
something else OTHER than a iTools specific MP3 player
that will not sell..

they should have just changed the Cube and brought it
back..

it doesn't matter to me what physical size the drive
is..

what it comes down to, for me, is:

it's not a Newton.. it's not a new PDA from apple..
it's not even something cool for an exisiting PDA..
it's not a new development in OSX.. it's not a price
break on a new G4.. nor a flatpanel iMac..

i basically equate it with a stiff-middle-finger from
Herr Jobs..

that's all..

=====
James Simons