[NTLK] iPod hard drive physical size

From: gopi_at_sin.sloth.org
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 11:40:19 EDT

The iPod dimensions:
4.02 " x 2.43 " x 0.78 "

A 2.5" notebook hard drive has - unsurprisingly - a circular object inside
of it that is 2.5" in diameter.

Notice something there? Right. The iPod doesn't use a 2.5" hard drive.

PriceWatch showed 1.8" hard drives as being between $350 and $400.

I'm just mentioning this because a lot of people are under the mistaken
impression that Apple is trying to rip people off here. They are selling a
_tiny_ device. I've seen hard drive based MP3 players. The one I saw was
so huge I would've just preferred to pull out an iBook. It wasn't a
pocketable item, unless a Newton and keyaboard would also fit into a
single pocket. (that's to say, my pockets would fit one :)

gopi.