Re: [NTLK] Success! NTK 1.6.4 and Mac OS X 10.1

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 15:03:15 EDT

On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 02:51 PM, Zachery Bir wrote:

> On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 02:43 , Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
>> No no no. I'm talking about NTK using AppleTalk. Under Classic,
>> AppleTalk would be configured to use Ethernet, since under 10.1, that's
>> the only option. So, I don't really care if a real serial port
>> exists or
>> not. I just want NTK to launch, and I'm *NOT* planning to use anything
>> that looks or sounds like a serial port. I would want to use EtherTalk.
>> AppleTalk over Ethernet, if you wish.
>
> Just to be sure, is this an option under 9.x? To connect NTK to the
> Newt over EtherTalk ( AppleTalk over Ethernet )?
>
> 'Cause, like I said, I don't see that as an option at all when
> running NTK under Classic.

Yes, that's it. Actually, NTK won't show you EtherTalk or whatever. It
just shows "AppleTalk". The transport is irrelevant for NTK. What is
important is the protocol, which is AppleTalk. Now, under 9, you have to
configure AppleTalk to use Ethernet. Then, you can say that you're using
EtherTalk, which is AppleTalk over Ethernet. There used to be TokenTalk.
I imagine you can guess what that means...

Now, wait a second! You're saying that you don't see this option when
running NTK under Classic? So, you're actually running NTK under
Classic? Which version of OS X? Since I did install 10.1, and as
reported by Sean Luke, NTK doesn't want to launch anymore under Classic,
when running OS X 10.1. So, how did you do it? Or are you using OS X
10.0.x?

-Laurent.

build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-Rich Cook