Re: [NTLK] Success! NTK 1.6.4 and Mac OS X 10.1

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 14:21:44 EDT

>thinking that we could "fool" NTK to believe that there is a serial port
>somewhere, no matter it's real or not. The goal, however, would be to
>use AppleTalk.

Well, I've never read anything about faking the MacOS out like that;
doesn't mean it doesn't or couldn't exist, certainly.

But regardless of what you trick the desktop side into doing, "appletalk
will NOT cross the keyspan device!" The keyspan will simply not route
appletalk packets. period. so you'd have to make your own USB-serial
hardware solution as well. No USB-serial solutions presently made will let
appletalk (a routed protocol, remember) across.

Am I missing something that you mean to do? Do you mean "send appletalk
from the desktop but have it really be serial data only" so then you'd have
"appletalk" set on the G3 and "serial" on the NEwton and have it all work?
That would entail converting a routed protocol on the fly to serial data
before it leaves the G3...(recall the adapter will be the same as /dev/null
for any routed data like any of the -talk protocol data)...seems
problematic...a new Mutated-PPP protocol for desktop and newton sides
maybe???