Re: [NTLK] Success! NTK 1.6.4 and Mac OS X 10.1

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 14:12:23 EDT

On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 02:00 PM, Zachery Bir wrote:

> On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 01:46 , Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
>> On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 01:12 PM, Brian wrote:
>>
>>> I think we are out of sync a bit, but will be back in email sync after
>>> your
>>> meeting.
>>>
>>> But the appletalk is the problem. Must be just serial port on both
>>> sides.
>>> I don't know if you can set that on the server side or not, I've never
>>> played with NTK (but keep meaning too do so...)
>>>
>>> I have used a keyspan a lot on a USB G3's and that's the only way that
>>> connectivity will work with the hardware limitation.
>>>

>> I'm not sure I understand here. I was thinking that the whole idea was
>> to use NTK with AppleTalk, be it on LocalTalk or Ethernet, that doesn't
>> matter to NTK. Now, it seems that with 10.1, there is a problem as no
>> serial port are available, and because of that, NTK is choking. I get a
>> similar warning from NCU when I launch it, but since I can specify
>> AppleTalk as the connection, and as long as AppleTalk is available
>> under
>> 10.1, NCU is happy. It seems that NTK doesn't like this. So, I was
>> thinking that we could "fool" NTK to believe that there is a
>> serial port
>> somewhere, no matter it's real or not. The goal, however, would be to
>> use AppleTalk.
>>
>> Am I missing something here?
>
> Laurent,
>
> I think I understand Brian. Theoretically, if you set NTK to speak
> Serial over, say, Printer Port USB, and have the Newt connect via
> serial, and have that serial cable connected to Port 1 of a Keyspan
> Twin, things should work okay.
>
> From what Brian says above, you cannot do AppleTalk over the
> Keyspan Serial _at all_, and NTK doesn't seem to want to look at
> Classic's AppleTalk settings, be they serial or Ethernet. NTK
> assumes everything is going through a serial port. It won't even
> look for an ethernet connection.
>
> So, it may be feasible to use NTK with Mac OS X 1.0 in Classic mode
> with a serial adapter, assuming you're okay with only ever talking
> serial.
>
> Brian, does this sound right?

Why wouldn't we be able to use EtherTalk? Like, I don't want to get a
Keyspan, I have an Ethernet card in my 2100 and have Ethernet with my
Mac, so I want to use Ethernet. That option is still available under
NTK, and still supported under OS X.1, right? So, why is the error now?
I'm not talking about AppleTalk over the Keyspan as I know that this
won't work. I'm talking about NTK over AppleTalk. However, it seems that
with 10.1, there isn't a single serial port available anymore, so NTK is
choking. I know that starting with OS X, there wasn't anymore a serial
port, but under 10.0.x, there must have been something looking like a
serial port since NTK was able to launch. Wasn't this port the modem
port? I don't remember clearly, but I think I've read that someone
explained this to work because of the modem. Now, in 10.1, it seems that
this option has been removed, so NTK doesn't want to launch anymore. My
idea was to fool NTK into thinking there is still a serial port, even if
you want to use AppleTalk.

Does that make any sense now?

-Laurent.