Re: [NTLK] HTLK: the Woz loves the Newton!

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 04:29:28 EDT

on 10/11/01 10:28 PM, Oliver Brose at oliver.brose_at_t-online.de wrote:

> Apple is a company and needs to make *bulks* of money to survive.
> No money, no development, no development, no revolution. Innovation alone
> doesn't buy you cookies.

In fact, without money, there is no innovation, and no incentive to
innovate. BTW, if it weren't money, it would be something else.
Unfortunately, in this present age, we have vilified money, and
characterized it with the word "greed." And then we pretend that to not want
money is a virtue, and several companies go out of their way to pretend that
they are not about money. It's a kind of silly, upside-down world.

Just like you could not survive without money, neither can Apple. When the
Newton was axed, money was something that Apple had none of, and not having
it, was threatened. If the worst had happened, where would all of Apple's
customers had been? Where would their stockholders have been? Where would
_I_ have been? Yuck!! Using Windows? Well, I doubt it. I'm sure I would
still be using my Quadra, but I am much happier with my Pismo PowerBook. I'm
glad Apple is in the business of making money. :-)

Actually, think about it. A business exists to make money. How do they do
that? They do it by producing a product, or by performing a service. The
best companies do this the best, as well as prove to their customers that
they are worthy of their trust. None of this changes the fact that the
company exists to make money. It's one of the foundational principles of our
society. I don't think we want to discuss the other alternatives. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland