Re: [NTLK] HTLK: the Woz loves the Newton!

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 16:28:53 EDT

> Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:05:26 -0400
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] HTLK: the Woz loves the Newton!
> From: "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
>

> on 10/11/01 12:48 PM, john_fraser_at_mac.com at john_fraser_at_mac.com wrote:
>
>> it's true these things are great but apple isn't only there to make grea=
>> products. They are here to make money!!! We a=3D
>> re obsessed with Newtons and some are with the cube. It sold poorly, ma=
ybe
>> WOZ isn't around anymore because of his obses=3D
>> sion and didn't think of it like a business anymore.
> [snip!]
>
> I hear this comment (make money) here and there, but, where do that stop?=
 Is
> there some kind of limit to that? Is this the ultimate goal in life, make
> money?

In a money-ruled world, it is. Sadly.
Apple is a company and needs to make *bulks* of money to survive.
No money, no development, no development, no revolution. Innovation alone
doesn't buy you cookies.
Apple's latest products lack the certain ueber-inventiveness that some of
the older users are used to, but they are still ahead of the time and very
innovative. (AirPort, USB, no floppy, firewire, iSoftware, the whole ease o=
use...)
The important part:
Apple has spirit, still has.
Using a Mac makes you feel good, because you don't feel fooled by it. It wa=
made to work with it, not at it.
Did you ever see WinTel-people cheer new hardware?
Steve is a visionary man, surrounded by a bunch of the most creative
developers.
You can see and feel the vision in every Apple product. Eg you don't even
have to use a Cube, just looking at one makes you feel that this is a most
special item, designed with progress in mind, without compromise.
Sometimes people are not ready for something like that, or the strategy is
bad, but there's a spirit behind it.
But when reality strikes your product (Cube), there's not much you can do
about it.
You have to keep your feet dry for not catching a cold, but everytime you d=
get wet, you learn another way to avoid the water.

This is turning into a rant, I guess... ;)

Oliver, suffering from RDF-overdose :)

--
Ich habe schon einige Leute erlebt, die mit dem Mac ungl=FCcklich
geworden sind (zuwenig Probleme, zuviel Freizeit...)