Re: [NTLK] HTLK: the Woz loves the Newton!

From: Greg Goodwin (drclu_at_swbell.net)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2001 - 02:17:01 EDT

     To answer your question, I always think of Doctor McCoy's statement in Star Trek:The Motion Picture when he made the statement "Who ever said there was a law
to change things?!?"

     I have noticed that my bits of fandom are locked in time. I like Atari 800, I like Newton 2000, and in truth, I believe that for truly great things to come
about, the industry has to keep moving forward. It seems the truly great things are yet another stepping stone to something else. The other things and steps might
be weaker, but in truth, you can't remain on one step forever.
    That was the case, I believe, with the Newton. Newton was a great concept. Many steps were made. We saw from Newton 100 (and before) up to the 2100. Many
steps! But it seems that Apple was charging through, aspiring to greatness, and in their stride, failed to realize how special the Newton was. Apple decided it
had to choose one path or another and went with Macintosh.

    I guess my point is, to love something takes time. Industry does not have time. It would be good if developers could be given time to truly grow into a
platform, but it seems that no sooner it is introduced then hardware engineers push the envelope yet once again, and the previous is left behind. And while the
industry is singing "Newton we hardly knew ye..." we are left holding these Newtons that have been so helpful.
    For us (and Woz) we find the Newton helpful. Our trust and love grows for the device as it proves itself through time. Sadly the market that has grown to
develop such admiration and trust for the device when all others have fallen short in many cases would put their trust in another Newton. But alas, while we were
getting to love the Newton and the fandom was developing, unfortunately, the Newton did not.

    Think of the Mac. So many years where the Mac was considered a joke. But throughout time, people slowly saw it for the effective and trouble free machine it
was. Luckily for those people, Apple actively develops the Mac. So when they decided to buy a great computer, the newer Macs were there.

    There is nothing wrong with love in business. But you have to take the theme, continue to add and develop and grow. You can't just remain at one point.

     I believe that if Newton had continued, with Newt OS 4.0, color, and the Newton 3100 or whatever it would have been by now... I believe in all likelihood the
backwards compatibility would have become more and more difficult. Maybe they would have been smaller? Or maybe been made less rugged with internal hard drives.
Chances are, the newer Newtons might have been just like the Newtons we know, or they might have become more unix based (as operating systems seem to be becoming)
or maybe while becoming more compatible with the bloatware world, become less efficient as well.
    Who is to say we would like current Newtons? I'm not overly crazy about current Macs over older ones. At least not enough to get one when I can build a good
PC for a fraction of the price.

    Nothing wrong with love. Just bear in mind that we fall in love with moment most of the time, or the way things are at a certain point. I think we spend a
good lot of time in other parts of our life trying to recapture that moment. Sometimes after many steps and trips and stumbles we accidentally find ourselves in a
similar moment again. :)

    Take care!

    Doctor Clu

Subject: Re: [NTLK] HTLK: the Woz loves the Newton!
From: "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>

on 10/11/01 12:48 PM, john_fraser_at_mac.com at john_fraser_at_mac.com wrote:

> it's true these things are great but apple isn't only there to make great
> products. They are here to make money!!! We a=
> re obsessed with Newtons and some are with the cube. It sold poorly, maybe
> WOZ isn't around anymore because of his obses=
> sion and didn't think of it like a business anymore.
[snip!]

I hear this comment (make money) here and there, but, where do that stop? Is
there some kind of limit to that? Is this the ultimate goal in life, make
money?

Just some thoughts...

-Laurent.