Re: [NTLK] Best way to prep card for ejection?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 01:41:32 EDT

> >I use SBM's Card Eject utility. But it won't work with ATA Cards (because
>>it assumes that one card == one store, but one ATA card can hold multiple
>>stores)

Actually, this was a short and simple explanation, but it wouldn't
work even with only one store on an ATA card.
The real problem is that CardEject doesn't really unmount stores. It
does deactivate packages on it which means that unmounting the store
will not deactivate packages and therefore won't require the store to
be remounted for that operation (and hence won't show 'Newton still
needs the card' alert).
The problem with ATA stores is that CardEject waits, once the
packages have been deactivated, for the card to be removed. And
removing an ATA card with a mounted store (even if the Newton won't
need this store again because there are no activated packages on it -
well, the Newton actually can need a store even if there is no
activated packages on it) will not work. This is because there is
some magic specific to linear stores which I can't use with ATA cards
(also, removing a card while some ATA operation is running means that
it will be interrupted at an unknown state).

On a side note, SBM's Secret Cards cannot be used with ATA cards. The
reason is that apparently, it does change some stuff in the store
directory and the ATA card slip reads the name directly in this
directory. Except this problem (it will show something like [n/a:
Error] or [n/a: Exception] instead of the store name), it should
work. It won't let you set the name of the store neither.

Anyway, I discussed this point with Ken Hagler who reported the
problem and apparently, he thinks that a password protection without
data encryption isn't really useful. If there is an ask for it, I'll
code some DES encryption over ATA stores.

>Anybody else using CardEject and Avi's run into these errors?

I never had any trouble with CardEject which I used in the past (I've
been using Avi's Backdrop for years). Could you please post the bug
trap log?

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/