Re: [NTLK] Potential for large number of bounced messages?

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 10:03:05 EST

On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 01:52 , Eric L. Strobel wrote:

> Nope. I'm living in OS8.1-land. There's just not much incentive to
> upgrade
> -- the machines I've got are probably never going to see an OS past 8.6.
> And it's gonna be a year or probably more before I get a machine
> capable of
> running OS X.
>
> I've got a boatload of messages archived, so in principle, I can figure
> it
> all out, but it's just gonna take some time.

Fair enough.

Just in case you think the OSX hurdle is high but really you'd like to
take it, ...

you really don't need such a powerhouse to run OSX. Not since 10.1 at
least. What you do need is plenty of RAM but that isn't all that
expensive anymore these days.

Recently, I upgraded my mother-in-law's iMac 233MHz to OSX. At 96MB of
RAM it crawled, which came as no surprise, but once we upgraded it to
192MB of RAM it was almost flying. Very decent.

If you have anything older than iMac or beige G3, you might still be
lucky. There is a utility called "Unsupported Utility X" which throws a
few system extensions from the Darwin project into the kext folder and
fools the OSX installer into installing on just about any not-a-Performa
Mac desktop that had PCI bus, i.e. 7200, 7300, 7500, 7600, 8500, 9600
and it is reported that as long as you don't have eny exotic third party
hardware where there might be no drivers available for, OSX seems to run
just fine on those.

I found that on
http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/framework.cfm?page=UnsupportedUtilityX.
html

but probably you've heard of it already.

Anyway, I'd be interested if to hear how the Newton connection via
serial on those oder machines tweaked into running OSX is. Just in case
someone did it or want's to give it a trial.

rgds
BK