Re: [NTLK] Newton 2002

From: Benjamin (ihxo_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 22:08:39 EST

On $B_at_14|;0(B, 11 28, 2001, at 09:49 , BK wrote:

> I'd be interested to hear what other Newtonians think how a Newton model
> of 2002 would look like, what features it would have and so on. Just
> imagine, it hadn't been abandoned but only put on hold until OSX was out
> and in early 2002 a new model would come out ...
>

> What kind of a Newton would it be ?
>
> - Would it be following the trend, i.e. look like a Palm, just with HWR
> working ?

No, don't make a Palm OS device now, maybe make an EPOC or even port OS
X to ARM Processor

> - Would it be just another MP2K but upgraded to current technology ?
>
> - Would it seek to set a new trend, something revolutionary, like
> built-in Via-Voice etc ?

You know I doubt voice regonition will be "that" useful on PDAs, because
you tends to use PDAs on the road, and how strange would it be when
people see you talking to a PDA ...

> And how would you like it to be (realistically) ?
>
> - Should it be smaller or larger, same size but slimmer ?

Well ... I'd love it to be "smaller" but if it's smaller, then maybe it
won't be as comfortable to use a newton

> - Should it have the same format ? colour screen ? dark green case or
> silver like the iBook ?

Color Screen is the way to go I think. Well let apple worry about the
case, I have confidence in them :)

> - Should it have Airport built-in or optional ? USB ? Infrared ?
> PCMCIA ? SmartMedia slot ?

Airport optinal
Firewire Sync/Charge !!!! :)
infrared maybe not sure about that
actually this might seems strange, but I think memorystick maybe the way
to go.

> And how would those features be realised ? How much would it cost ?
> Would it be well received ?

keke ... how much would it cost ...