Re: [NTLK] Where can I get JSuite?

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 13:18:19 EST

On Wednesday, November 28, 2001, at 02:20 , Laurent Daudelin wrote:

>> <http://www.remus.dti.ne.jp/~sugiyama/softarchive/>
>> <http://www.remus.dti.ne.jp/~sugiyama/softarchive/JSuite07c.sit>
>>
>> and the (Japanese) description with the dead download link is here:
>>
>> <http://home3.highway.ne.jp/ychibato/sctext/jsuite.html>
>
> OK, sorry to chime in with a question, but even after trying to get the
> page
> translated from Japanese to English, I still fail to see what Jsuite is.
> Anybody cares to enlighten me?

The description on the first link under JSuite 0.7c says that if you use
the Mincho font (most likely a Japanese Kanji font) on a MP2K with an
English system then anything Japanese will come out as mojibake
(literally ghost characters, meaning garbled text) and the software
apparently fixes this problem.

However, the description on the third link goes into more detail.

Basically, JSuite is described as a utility that enables an eMate or
MP2K with an English system to display Japanese Kanji, using the Mincho
font. It goes on to say that it only takes up 22K on the system heap.

Then it lists the apps in which it enables Japanese display and where
Japanese input is available. It goes on to say that you should the Read
Me file very carefully and that it is shareware at 2000 yen.

It closes with some download instructions and links to screenshots
showing JSuite in action with various applications.

Wow, I am quite impressed by this utility. It lets you input a person's
name in Kanji in Names. I have always used a sketch in the Notes
attachment to a Name to write Japanese names. This one is looking very
promising. Doesn't say anything about what encoding standard is used
though. Hopefully it's JIS.

if you need any more specific translation on a particular part of the
site, drop me an email.

hth
rgds
BK