Re: [NTLK] [ANN] newtVNC 3.3a8

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 11:41:41 EST

On Wednesday, November 28, 2001, at 01:12 , Steve Weyer wrote:

> newtVNC 3.3a8:
> - initial server support
> - misc. fixes
> - 2.1-only (are there any actual NOS 2.0 newtVNC users?)
>
> newtVNC = Newton VNC (Virtual Network Computing)
> Viewer: use your Newton to view & control a remote system
> Server: view & control your Newton from a remote system

Yup, tried that one.

Very nice indeed.

A little review perhaps ? ...

- overall VNC is rather bandwidth consuming (not the Newton's or the
implementation's fault!)

therefore, the view with the scroll bars present (forgot what it's
called, extended view perhaps) isn't really recommendable. The standard
view (without scroll bars) works fine though.

- when viewing your OSX desktop on the Newton, the limitations of the
Newton's grayscale display become obvious. Most of the greyed out
options in menus become invisible (not VNC's fault though).

- for some reason I could not provide a password longer than one
character which is a security issue that needs fixing. I wouldn't
exactly want to set my server's VNC password to one character ;-)

I don't think it would be acceptable over a modem, but using Ethernet it
works quite well.

I guess the most likely application in combination with OSX is to remote
control some of the panels in OSX's System Preferences. Tested most of
those from the Newton and it worked reasonably well.

Even though after playing with it for a while, most of the time I got
impatient and simply used the terminal app over VNC to do some stuff on
the OSX box (which is of course not the raison-d'etre for VNC as one
would better use a terminal program like PT100 in such a case).

Quite amazing though when your OSX screen (or parts thereof) shows up on
your Newton, I can tell you :-)

I didn't even realise that NewtVNC also had a server mode. I will have
to play with that too.

rgds
BK