Re: [NTLK] [ANN] newtVNC 3.3a8

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 14:35:21 EST

> From: BK <bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
>

> On Wednesday, November 28, 2001, at 01:12 , Steve Weyer wrote:
>
>> newtVNC 3.3a8:
>> - initial server support
>> - misc. fixes
>> - 2.1-only (are there any actual NOS 2.0 newtVNC users?)
>>
>> newtVNC = Newton VNC (Virtual Network Computing)
>> Viewer: use your Newton to view & control a remote system
>> Server: view & control your Newton from a remote system
>
> Yup, tried that one.
>
> Very nice indeed.
>
> A little review perhaps ? ...

sure.

> - overall VNC is rather bandwidth consuming (not the Newton's or the
> implementation's fault!)
>
> therefore, the view with the scroll bars present (forgot what it's
> called, extended view perhaps) isn't really recommendable. The standard
> view (without scroll bars) works fine though.

"Expanded" vs. "Compact"

> - when viewing your OSX desktop on the Newton, the limitations of the
> Newton's grayscale display become obvious. Most of the greyed out
> options in menus become invisible (not VNC's fault though).

tough to squeeze multiple colors down to 16-grays
(and vice versa -- for server to expand 16 grays into some reasonable
colors)

> - for some reason I could not provide a password longer than one
> character which is a security issue that needs fixing. I wouldn't
> exactly want to set my server's VNC password to one character ;-)

up to 8 characters should work. I've used 5-letter ones with no problem with
several servers. I don't know why this wouldn't work...

> I didn't even realise that NewtVNC also had a server mode. I will have
> to play with that too.

there was a preview screenshot available a week or so ago, but the server
side became available only today in 3.3a8.

--
Steve
  http://www.kagi.com/weyer/#VNC