Re: [NTLK] [OT] Rhapsody == OS X

From: R Pickett (emerson_at_hayseed.net)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 02:35:26 EST

On Mon, 2001-11-26 at 22:49, BK wrote:
> If Apple says Rhapsody is not OSX, I'll go with that.

The codename 'Rhapsody' was originally a pun on 'Gershwin' which was the
codename for the super-uber-cool all-dancing, all-singing thing that was
going to be MacOS 9, back when 'Copeland' still meant MacOS 8, and
System 7.1 was a thing of newness and wonder. (I'd LOVE to see the old
MacWEEK where they were blathering on and on about how Gershwin was
going to change the world of computing forever, Real Soon Now....)

Once it became clear that Copeland was not going to manifest as
promised, Gershwin as a name and a project kind of fell away, and IIRC
'Rhapsody' started being used in a kind of ironic, self-deprecating way
for "whatever eventually gets us out of this increasingly-tangled mess
that is the current OS."

So, I think the -name- was in place, and some of the desired feature
list, before the actual path to the solution was clear. Maybe some code
from the Copeland effort, or even some woodshed work on Gershwin. But
the word was being bandied around basically from the time the whole
projected future timeline collapsed.

This is all from my faulty recollection of working for a major music
software developer and Apple partner in the Early Clinton Era, though.
YMMV. Caveat Lector.

--
R Pickett           The people that once bestowed commands, consulships,
Hayseed Networks    legions, and all else, now meddles no more and longs