Re: [NTLK] fixing broken dongle port

From: Marco Mailand (newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 04:48:16 EST

Laurent Daudelin wrote:
> I think it can be re-soldered on the motherboard, but I'm not sure I would
> classify this operation as "something that your average computer hardware
> tech could fix"...
> The first thing would probably be to open it to assess the damage. Since you
> probably haven't got your hands on it yet, it's kind of a guess...

However, SMT is delicate it is not impossible to repair the NIC connector. I
would do it for the original poster for free under the condition, that he or
she pays all S&H to me and does all the organisation work which is necessary
to deal with customs. I'm in the center of Europe but outside from the
customs point of view :-(

So far I've sucessfully repaired 3 NIC ports and everything worked smoothly
and took me only 10min :-) The condition is that the broken NIC connector is
not lost and PCB tracks are't damaged beyond repair. Since this can be
verified only after opening and measuring I would extend my repair service
to mounting a DongleKiller (see
http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/Npages/DK/DK.html ) if necessary. This would
however add some bucks for the material...

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing