Re: [NTLK] fixing broken dongle port

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 01:58:23 EST

While it is possible and it will work...for a time, it
is definatly not reliable.
I have attempted to fix my dongle port myself, having
several dozen years of soldering experience, with
quite a few on SMT PC boards. First, this is not for
the inexperienced with Radio Shack tools! If the names
Weller or Ungar are foreign to you, then don't attempt
to do it your self.
I will attempt to reitterate what I've said on this
list in the past. well, not EVERYTHING I've said on
this list in the past, that's just too much to write,
I'll just limit this to the dongle port stuff ;-P
First. The dongle plug is nothing but a plastic
housing, surrounded by a metal case with a bunch of
teeny tiny pins soldered to the MB (motherboard) There
is NO physical connection holding the plug onto the MB
other than the solder holding the pins to the MB.
There are two plastic "bumps" that fit into holes on
the MB, that aleviate lateral stress, BUT!!!! if your
dongle port is pushed in, then I would venture to
guess that those plastic bumps have been sheered and
are now rounded to the point where they will no longer
function as planned. This is the main reason why
resoldering will not permantly fix the broken dongle.
If you can fashion some kind of physical connection
between the plug the the MB, then you might get a
permanent fix, but the space inside the Newt is
limited!
After fixing my dongle port, it lasted about 10-15
insertion/extraction cycles...After I sent it to
Apple, all they did was resolder the existing port and
it too failed after only 3 insertion/extraction
cycles.
I gave up on that stupid dongle port that went
nowhere...and even though I don't use the port for
anything (I never synch, and rarely backup through the
NCU...I use memory cards) I purchased a dongle killer
and haven't been happier. Unfortunatly, there are no
more to be had...Perhaps someone on this list has a
spare, but with the high price of the device, I doubt
it!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- greenguy <greenguy_at_oanet.com> wrote:

> I am considering purchasing a spare mp2k. I found
> one for relatively cheap
> but the dongle port has been pushed in.
>
> I have heard this problem discussed before, but
> wanted to clarify with you
> guys weather this was something that your average
> computer hardware tech(me)
> could fix. Is it likely that this port can be
> re-soldered to the board?
>
> thanks.
>
> Vern

=====