Re: [NTLK] AW: backup battery in 2100?

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 12:40:05 EST

on 22/11/01 01:58, Johannes Wolf at jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl wrote:

> The 2x00 does have a so called Super Cap which acts like a battery up to 4
> hours after removing all power from the Newt.
> This feeds the real time clock.

Yep, but the only thing I always envied the 1x0 for was this backup battery.
Even if you remove all power from a 1x0, to replace the main batteries for
instance, you wouldn't have to "suffer" a soft reset when power on again,
IIRC.

However, in a 2x00, when you remove all power, you're in for the soft reset.
So, to me, the capacitor is of little use. Sure, it preserves the pen
calibration and the time, but what else beside that? I still would have
preferred a backup battery.

-Laurent.

C++ /C'-pluhs-pluhs/ n.: Designed by Bjarne Stroustrup of AT&T Bell Labs as a successor to C. Now one of the languages of choice, although many hackers still grumble that it is the successor to either Algol 68 or Ada (depending on generation), and a prime example of second-system effect. Almost anything that can be done in any language can be done in C++, but it requires a language lawyer to know what is and what is not legal-- the design is almost too large to hold in even hackers' heads. Much of the cruft results from C++'s attempt to be backward compatible with C. Stroustrup himself has said in his retrospective book "The Design and Evolution of C++" (p. 207), "Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get out." [Many hackers would now add "Yes, and it's called Java" --ESR]