Re: [NTLK] Stopwatch or timer app for Newton?

From: Grant [Irradiated] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 12:33:29 EST

In a previous message, Laurent Daudelin typed vigorously:

>Just wondering a bit. What is the use of a stopwatch that goes down to 1/100
>of a second? I mean, unless your Newt is plugged to some detection device,
>you'll have to tap the screen with your pen to start/stop the timer. By the
>time your pen tip touches the screen, there might have been 200 or 300
>100ths of a second that passed. I guess my real question is what's the point
>to get such a precise timer when the mode in which you start and stop it is
>so imprecise?

Hmmm... I'll have to ask the fellow who was looking for this in the first
place. Even if there was a slight delay created by the time it takes for
your stylus to touch the screen and for any UI widget to highlight,
wouldn't the delay be the same when starting the timing as when ending
the timing? The two delays caused by these particular user events would
cancel each other out, and you would end up with a reasonably accurate
timing. And how would this be any different than the delay involved with
clicking a mechanical button on a handheld stopwatch?

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/