[NTLK] [DEV] programmatically clicking on objects

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 08:45:28 EST

(I've flagged this with "[DEV]" as a development question)

any Newton developers out there know about posting/replaying pen events?

there's HandleKeyEvents which allows fairly low-level simulation of the
keyboard. is there any function/method like this for pen events?
(I have an old posting about "InsertTabletSample" but I don't think that
does what I need).

newtVNC server needs to identify and act on objects (I'm willing to settle
for simple clicking on controls, though ideally, it would be nice e to draw
and drag...).

newtVNC can locate the appropriate child object by searching through
childViewFrames using my x,y global coords. (btw, is there a built-in
function to do this?)

however, when it's identified the object, there is sometimes a way to act on
the object externally, e.g., :buttonClickScript (or PressButton function)
for textButtons, :toggleCheck (for radio/checkbox), etc. but not always and
there's no uniform API, AFAIK. :viewClickScript(nil) will sometimes even
work (if the control cares only that it was clicked on -- not where). one
solution might be if I could provide the x,y information in the integer
"unit" parameter -- does anyone know the format for unit???

if so, I could just encode x,y into a unit and call :viewClickScript(unit)
and that should work most of the time... if not, I guess I can continue to
expand the ad hoc click message repertoire (so, far it can handle paragraph
selection, popup menus, sliders, az tabs, extra icons, ...).

other suggestions welcome too. thanks in advance.

--
Steve