Re: [NTLK] newtVNC server status

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 07:53:49 EST

> From: <rpatel_at_accelrys.com>
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> I came across this a few days ago and you might find it
> useful as it appears to be vnc for low bandwidth users
>
> http://www.tightvnc.org/
>
> I have yet to try it but there may be some optimisations
> you may find useful (?)

I actually did try the "Tight" encoding -- and included a note about this on
the vnc page (Encodings section). it does seem to be more compact than Zlib,
however, there's a lot more overhead to decoding it, so it's slower than
Zlib on Newton -- so I commented out the code in newtVNC. (in fact, with
Paul's fast bitmap drawing function, even Raw is faster than the much more
compact Hextile encoding).

> Thanks again for a fantastic effort on this !

you're welcome

--
Steve
  http://www.kagi.com/weyer/#VNC