[NTLK] [ANN] MAD Newton 0.2

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 13:34:58 EST

[I mailed from the wrong account, so here we go again]

Hello all,

MAD Newton is making progress and I uploaded version 0.2. I am still
playing aroung with the buffering to get streaming playback to work but
it looks (and sounds) promising. The little test app is still included
and plays a stream from Live365. As before, you also need NHttpLib. It
doesn't do network throtteling, so if your stream comes in too fast, it
will sound pretty weird. 56kbit/sec streams work however quite ok. The
current implementation is unfortunately still to slow for 128kbit/sec.

The core API is stable, so if you want to play around yourself, take a
look at protoMAD. It is the interface to MAD at the C level and using it
should be not to difficult. There still needs to be work done on the
audio quality. I plan to use Robert's more advanced dithering and
quantization algorithms.

Plans for the future are:
- protoMP3Player for playing sound sources from the Newton
- protoMP3Streamer for playing MP3 streams (HTTP, Shoutcast/Icecast)
- a sample app (NewtApp based) that can be used to manage audio data on
the Newton (streams and tracks), probably with an import capability via
Sloup, NewtScape, the I/O-box, etc.
- integration into the Newton Audio Player by Brad Tober

Have fun,

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --