[NTLK] AW: Printing from SER-001

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 02:14:56 EST

It sounds definitely like a bad connection:
you mentioned printing of garbage into one line - do you call it garbage because of it is printed all into one line or are the characters wrong?
I often had the problem of having a bad printer setting such that the printer expects a separate line feed character.
In this case the printer will print the right characters but all into one line.

In fact there is not much what could get wrong in terms of hardware with the SER-001 except bad connections.
Maybe you have bent one of the pins on the connector to the logic board.
The other issue is the mini-DIN connection. It is sufficient to have one loose or missing pin-conntact to end up with garbage (there is for instance no more handshaking)
But if - as you said - all other apllications work, I would rather trace the problem to the mini-DIN connector of the Printpack: maybe this connector sits more loose in the SER-001 connector than the others.
I am not completely sure but I assume that the connection to NCU on an MAC would require ALL signals. So this is a proof that everything is fine with your SER-001 hardware (driver, connection to logic board).

Because of the constraints for the SER-001 regarding the available space, the mini-DIN connector is not a high rel part. The connector you have on the dongle is of better quality. So the only possible way I see would be to SLIGHTLY and CAREFULLY bend the pins of the mini-DIN connector from the Print Pack in order to improve the contact to SER-001.

Johannes