Re: [NTLK] [OT] MS Pen tablets (wa: Oh wow... this is great!)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 02:02:48 EST

My AT&T EO is running just fine...thank you!
My AT&T EO 440 (ever send a fax from the beach?
Someday you will) works and receives and sends faxes.
It runs whenever I need it! The device has full pen
input with recognition, and a cell phone module (It's
a modified OKI 900 analog) which is surprisingly
reliable! The only problem is that the recognition
really isn't that good. Even after the OS ugrade, the
handwriting was only marginal..
At the same time, Compaq had the Aero tablet running
Pen windows, and Fujitsu has just come out with their
tablet. (I loved the Compaq...I felt that this was the
future!)
I just can't wait to see what Microsoft does with
their new tablet. Their new voice recognition in XP
office is simply awsome and is well integrated in all
aspects of Microsoft applications. (I usually do my
emails using voice) It's about time Microsoft did
something with their voice recognition system that
they have had for years...Hopefully Apple will see
that you can resurect old technology in a new platform
and introduce Newton style touches in future
hardware/software releases...(yeah right...$J would
rather get cancer than admit that the Newton was an
innovative idea.)
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- brian.tiplady_at_astrazeneca.com wrote:
> Remember Go!? This concept is older even than the
> Newton. I remember an IBM
> pen tablet that was being sold into vertical
> healthcare markets, the glossy
> showed a nurse using it to collect patient data at
> the bedside. The thing
> weighed about 7lb, and we got a lot of laughs from
> the white knuckles of the
> nurse's hand as she held the pose for the camera
>
> IBM was broke at the time and couldn't afford to buy
> the Go! OS. AT&T bought
> it, if IIRW, used the clever comms bits and threw
> away all the pen stuff.
> Then MS lost interest in pen, and the whole market
> segment pretty much died
> for a while. Newtons and the other pen PDAs (Zaurus,
> Magic Cap) were too
> small for the kind of form filling that you can do
> on an A4 tablet.
>
> You're all quite right about the hype, but I say
> welcome back, especially if
> the situation has changed enough so that these
> devices can be sold into both
> vertical and consumer markets. I was interviewed by
> a Market Researcher last
> week tapping my info onto a Fujitsu with a 10"
> screen. That item has a list
> price of nearly $5K. If the same machines can be
> used by commercial data
> collectors and by internet users at home and can be
> sold at consumer prices
> it could transform the pen computer scene.
>
> Brian Tiplady

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...